Saturday 2 May 2009

The Hit List by Chris Ryan

This book was first published in 2000 when I still thought Chris Ryan was this big shot SAS guy who could write good books.

Nowadays I think Chris IS a big shot SAS guy who gets other people to ghost write his books.

There's a style in this book that doesn't seem to match that of the other books of his I've read, and not in a good way.

The first half of the book has a lot of action and adventure but in no way belongs to the plot of the book. It's a case of this happens and then that happend and then the other took place and then the plot started. Once I got to the actual plot it was immediately obvious that the first half had been a virtual waste of my life.

The idea behind the book is that the lead character gets recruited into a super uber secret government hit squad type affair. The first half of the book, and I literally mean half, is ex-SAS bloke gets mucked about a bit and peeved and is driven to the super uber secret group. Instead of half of the blummin book, that could have been dealt with in a couple of pages so why waste my life reading all that guff!?

In the end, the book overall is okay, not great, just okay and if you like ex-SAS stories then you'll find this a time filler.